Have You Got Attitude? 9 Ways to Inspire Yours
Thoughts for the Weekend
Our attitude is extremely important to our behavior yet how much time do we really spend thinking about the condition of our “attitude”? For that matter, how often are we even aware of our attitude on a specific day, hour or minute. Yet, we talk about attitude quite a lot and common phrases in our language revolve around attitude. For instance, you have a bad attitude, you need an attitude adjustment, or you have too much attitude!
Our attitude affects how we think, act, relate to others, and how we approach and solve life’s problems. Witnessing a positive attitude at work is a beautiful thing! We are drawn to those who have mastered that discipline, hoping they will inspire us, offer us guidance and lead us into the light, because people with a positive attitude are generally happier and more successful.
Now this guy has attitude!.
Today’s fast paced and sophisticated world certainly presents us with constant challenges. Maintaining a positive attitude is not always easy, even for those who are naturally positive and upbeat. Yes the dark side is always pulling at us, especially when life throws us a curve ball.
We cannot always control what happens to us, but we do have control of how we deal with a challenging situation. I will be the first to admit it is not always easy. As much as I try, there are times my own attitude needs attention. Today I went looking for inspiration and found some in unexpected places. Here are the words of wisdom I uncovered.
- "The legendary lotus is rooted in the murky darkness, in the muck of
lakes and ponds. It rises above the water, unsoiled by the muck, its fragrant
petals unfolding one at a time as it is kissed into full blossom by the
morning sun. Like the lotus, we also, have the opportunity to rise above the
surface, to bloom suddenly and to dazzle." - anonymous
- "Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny." - Mahatma Gandhi
- “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” - Abraham Lincoln
- "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or demons, heaven or hell." - Buddha
- “Life is 10 percent what you make it and 90 percent how you take it.” - Irving Berlin
Minneapolis is a city with great attitude!
- “We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” - Viktor E. Frankl
On top of Hogsback, where J.R. Tolkien was inspired to write the Lord of the Rings stories.
- "I've had it with being nice, understanding, fair and hopeful. I feel like being negative all day. The chip on my shoulder could sink the QE2. I've got an attitude problem and nobody better get in my way...I'm in a bad mood and the whole stupid little world is gonna pay!” - John Waters, Crackpot: The Obsessions of John Waters
Go ahead pet me - make my day!
- "It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come." - the 14th Dalai Lama
9. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And You are the one who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Seuss